Known as the Gateway to the Spanish Peaks, and located along the Highway of Legends, Aguilar is the eastern approach to the west peak by way of county road 43.7 that passes through Gulnare on the way to Cuchara, which is located on the eastern slopes of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in the heart of the Cucharas River Valley. Cuchara is surrounded by the San Isabel National Forest with all of its lakes, mountains and wilderness.
Founded in 1888 and incorporated in 1894, being named for state legislator, José Ramón Aguilar. The town once boosted a population of over 2,500 in the heyday of the coal mining boom in southern Colorado.
In 1878 the rail road was built linking New Mexico to Denver. Tying into rail lines that ran east of the town opened the front range for immigrants seeking a better life and for business owners seeking new opportunities.
In 1892 the Colorado & Southern Railway built a branch line into the Aguilar town limits. This was the beginning of the years that the town experienced it’s growth. At it’s peak, there were 4 hotels, numerous grocery stores and drug stores, 3 churches, a bank, a mortuary, and 14 saloons.
Aguilar is located in northwest Las Animas County.
Latitude –.37.402 N
Longitude -104.652 W
It is in the Mountain Standard time zone.
The elevation of the town is 6,394 feet.
The estimated U.S. Census population, in 2000, was 692.